About Jump Step
Are you looking for a fun and innovative way to boost your mood and increase confidence?
Are you looking for a sustainable approach to managing depression and anxiety?
Jump Step is a physical activity program for the treatment of depression and anxiety. In each of the eight weekly sessions we will try a variety of fun physical activities with a physical therapist, combined with positive and encouraging group discussions about exercise and wellness.
An abundance of research suggests that regular physical activity (exercise) can be as effective as an antidepressant and/or a course of cognitive therapy in treating depression. 55% of people with depression who engage in regularly sustained physical activity will notice a significant improvement, if not full resolution, of their depressive symptoms.
In this program you will learn:
- The five basic movement patterns for exercise
- How to use resistance bands at home
- Stretching and introductory mobility exercises
- How to incorporate a daily dose of physical activity into your busy life
- To overcome barriers to physical activity, set goals and develop healthy habits
Our reconfigured program includes:
- Eight, two-hour virtual sessions
- All participants who attend seven sessions or more will receive a free additional individual session with our amazing fitness instructor Tony Fu!
- Two introductory and entry level Yoga Sessions with the amazing Sharon from Inspiring Yoga.
All sessions are conducted over Zoom, so you participate from the convenience of your home.
This program is designed to help you set personal goals, breakthrough barriers to exercise and improve your mood, while working towards achieving your health goals.
- No sign-up fee
- No physician referral required
- Participate from the comfort of your own home!
- Free exercise band and yoga mat supplied by Jump Step!
- Participants welcome from any location
- Fun, inclusive environment for all fitness levels
When: The next session will begin in January 2023.
Time: Thursdays 4:30pm-6:30pm, start dates to be announced
Sign up today if you are:
- Between the ages of 18 and 70
- Do not have an injury or medical condition preventing you from safely participating
- Able to commit to the full eight weeks.
No physician referral required!
Contact Jump Step volunteer Michael Sarvari today to join the waitlist!
Supporting Jump Step
Jump Step is currently not covered by MSP, and the cost of the program is covered by donations. If you would like to make a contribution to ensure that Jump Step continues to be available at no charge, please click here for information.)
Exercise as medicine—the use of group medical visits to promote physical activity and treat chronic moderate depression: a preliminary 14-week pre–post study:
Jump step – a community based participatory approach to physical activity & mental wellness:
CBC News story about exercise therapy and Jump Step: