Are you looking for a fun and innovative way to boost your mood and increase confidence?
Are you looking for a sustainable approach to managing depression and anxiety?
Every year, about 50% of us make New Year’s Resolutions. Among the top three resolutions made are to: ‘get more exercise’ and ‘lose weight’ …’get more organized’ is the third.
Unfortunately, the majority who commit to exercise January 1 have stopped by June 1 – predominantly because they do not have a well thought out plan and the support to carry it through.
There is an abundance of research suggesting that regular physical activity (exercise) can be as effective as an antidepressant and/or a course of cognitive therapy in treating depression. 55% of people with depression who engage in regularly sustained physical activity will notice a significant improvement, if not full resolution, of their depressive symptoms.
Jump Step is a physical activity program for the treatment of depression and anxiety. In each of the eight weekly sessions, we will try a variety of fun physical activities with a physical therapist, combined with positive and encouraging group discussions about exercise and wellness.
An abundance of research suggests that regular physical activity (exercise) can be as effective as an antidepressant and/or a course of cognitive therapy in treating depression. 55% of people with depression who engage in regularly sustained physical activity will notice a significant improvement, if not full resolution, of their depressive symptoms.
Our newly reconfigured program will consist of eight 2 hour virtual sessions via Zoom, and includes two introductory Yoga sessions with the amazing Sharon, from Inspiring Yoga.
All participants who attend seven sessions or more will receive a free additional individual training session with our amazing fitness instructor Tony Fu over Zoom, as well as a free fitness band!
This program is designed to help you set personal goals, breakthrough barriers to exercise and improve your mood, while working towards achieving your health goals.
In this program you will learn:
- The five basic movement patterns for exercise
- How to use resistance bands at home
- Stretching and introductory mobility exercises
- How to incorporate a daily dose of physical activity into your busy life to overcome barriers to physical activity, set goals and develop healthy habits
Our newly redesigned program includes:
- Eight, two-hour virtual sessions via Zoom
- All participants who attend seven sessions or more will receive a free additional individual session with our amazing fitness instructor Tony Fu via Zoom!
- Two introductory and entry level Yoga Sessions with the amazing Sharon from Inspiring Yoga over Zoom
- No sign-up fee
- No physician referral required
- Participate from the comfort of your own home!
- Free exercise band and yoga mat supplied by Jump Step!
- Participants welcome from any location
- Fun, inclusive environment for all fitness levels
When: Thursdays, October 21st – December 9th
Time: 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm
Sign up today if you are:
- Between the ages of 18 and 70
- Do not have an injury or medical condition preventing you from safely participating
- Able to commit to the full eight weeks.
No physician referral required!
Contact Jump Step volunteer Michael Sarvari today to join the waitlist!
Exercise as medicine—the use of group medical visits to promote physical activity and treat chronic moderate depression: a preliminary 14-week pre–post study:
Jump step – a community based participatory approach to physical activity & mental wellness: